It appears as though we got a few critical tasks completed just in time, out on the homestead. A week before the temperatures dropped and the snow finally appeared, we were able to get the skirting done around the cabin, sealing up the crawlspace underneath.
We also got half of the floor insulated, before the unseasonal cold weather hit last Friday. Once it gets a little warmer out (possibly next week), we can get the rest of the insulating done.
More importantly, our firewood arrived last Thursday, as well. This was the best possible day the “wood guy” could have chosen to show up - and we're so glad he did. We decided to save some money, over all, and bought our wood in bulk; eighteen cords in 20' logs. Over the past week, I've gotten to be quite handy with the new chainsaw and have a wood splitter on order. This pile of wood should last us a few years and, now that winter is beginning to settle in, I'll have plenty of time to start cutting and splitting it up.
Although the skirting around the RV has helped keep out the cold, this week a few small chinks in the armor have appeared. So, once again, progress on the house has been delayed a bit as we worked on those. In the mean-time, however, we now have just about all of the major components to start working on getting the cabin suitable for full time, day-to-day living. We have our water storage tank, on-demand water pump and propane water heater, backup propane space heater (30,000 btus), composting toilet, and I started working on moving the solar battery bank over from the RV.
Next week, when it supposed to get a little warmer, we'll be off to pick up a couple of 100lb propane tanks to fuel the house-hold appliances. Then, it's just a matter of running some propane line, as well as the water line, and connect everything up.
Always something going on at the homestead.